Thursday, September 27, 2007

Joint account, one big headache

In Singapore, I have both a joint account with Tubby Hubby (TH) and a personal account. I love that personal account because it means I don't feel guilty using it to buy clothes, pay for manicures and get TH's birthday present.

Oh, and squirrel away lots of money for myself, of course.

But in Hong Kong, it's too troublesome to maintain so many accounts so we just have a joint one. Both out salaries go into it so in theory, I shouldn't feel guilty about using it. But I do.

TH's birthday is coming up and he said to take the money for his present from the joint account. But somehow it doesn't feel the same. How can I tell his I got it with my money when it comes from a pool anyway.

Ah well, shall console myself with the fact that at the moment, the contribution's 80-20 (with TH putting in the most). So when I spend, it'll most likely be his money. Way hey! Now, if I can just get rid of this guilt...

2 comments:

Marie said...

I can totally understand how u feel... seriously.. my hubby tinks the same way as u too... tat's y we maintain our own personal a/c n a joint one... Initially I wanted to have just a joint a/c for convenienve but hubby say it feels strange esp when it comes to getting present :p

Ivy Ong-Wood said...

yes,i am now seriously considering a personal one, after TH spent $400 on overseas calls! Doesn't feel like punishment if we take it out of the joint account.